Spaaghetti Aglio, Olio e Pepperoncino is a simple yet delightful dish guests enjoy al fresco in the never ending summer at Veligandu Maldives.
Spaghetti Aglio, Olio e Pepperoncino means Spaghetti with garlic, oil and chili. This classic Italian dish appeared for the first time on the Cook book “Cucina Teorico Pratica” written by Guido Cavalcanti in 1837, under the name of “Uermiculi Aglio e uoglie”.
This dish is one of the most popular pasta recipes in Italy and in Veligandu as well. This late-night Roman staple is astonishingly full-flavored that at the end of a night out with friends, it is common that someone says “Andiamo da me a farci una Spaghettata!” (Let’s go to my place to eat Spaghetti!), due to its simplicity, convenience, and flavorsome, this spaghetti recipe is almost always the first choice.
The Italian sparkling wine Prosecco pairs well with this dish as Prosecco’s bubbles cleans your mouth from the odor created from the fried oil and garlic. Sauvignon Blanc, a "crisp, elegant, and fresh" white wine which is not too dry and not too strong is an alternative. Those of you who prefers red wines over white can nosh this dish with Pinot Noir wine.
A quick recipe to prepare, let Veligandus' Maldivian chef Didi guide you on how to prepare one of the best-loved Italian dish.
Here’s everything you're going to need
- 3⁄4 pound spaghetti or linguine
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 whole fresh pepperoncini (small red chilies), or small dried red chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1⁄2 tsp)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
How to cook
- Boil the spaghetti until it is al dente for 4 minutes, nearly but not quite done and still a bit chalky in the middle. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and pepperoncini sauté for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is translucent and slightly golden brown.
- Once they start to splutter, lower the heat and toss the spaghetti.
- Add salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Remove from the fire and plate up the dish. Garnish with parsley, cheese and additional pepperoncini.
- Serve it warm to your family and friends with panfry or grilled seafood and your choice of wine.
Create unforgettable moments as you savour fabulous food alongside great company at Veligandu during your beach holiday in the Maldives.
Early Bird Offers for your Maldives holiday in 2020 and 2021. See all offers»